Monday, June 30, 2008

Go Down to the River: Check!

Alternate titles include I Hate Nature, and Ducks Are Gross.
We went down to the river because it's one of the things on our list that doesn't require any money and we brought bread to feed to the ducks and the geese. Now I don't know if the geese actually saw our bag of bread or if they just figure that anyone walking around there will have some food for them, but they completely flocked around us only seconds after we got out of the car. Which was fine except that we weren't ready to give up the goods yet. Two seconds after I took this picture, a big, disgusting, hideous, flying demonish bug of some sort totally flew right down the front of my shirt. There was some screaming and flailing and it's a miracle that I didn't drop the camera. Somehow I got the thing outta there but then I was completely bug spooked. And guess what? There are a butt load of bugs by the river. So we took a little walk up to the waters edge, dodging the kamikaze bugs and weaving our way around the massive amounts of big bird turds (sorry, I know that sounds crass, but I had to go for the little rhyme there). We had just barely dipped our toes into the water when LaRue says "Oh! I have to go potty." That was pretty much it for the river. LaRue made it to the bathroom and the girls swung on some swings for a little bit.
Then I was feeling like "let's throw this bread at these birds and get the heck out of here!" So we did.
The girls really did enjoy the whole thing though, so I'm glad that we went even though I love the great indoors with all of my heart. Oh, and whilst we were feeding the ducks we noticed that one of them had a hook with a lure and some fishing line stuck in his mouth. Isn't that sad? Jordan and I tried to try and help it after we got the girls back in the car, but by that point we were out of bread and the duck would have none of our advances. Poor little guy, so I'm trying to convince myself that his hook is not hurting him, but rather is like some awesome duck piercing making him the absolute coolest in the duck community. That's why he didn't let us help him, he wanted to keep his street cred.

2 comments:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

That bug dance with the bug down your shirt must have been quite entertaining! Too bad it wasn't caught on video! :o)

It reminds me of the time we went down to CA. and visited Universal Studios. I was trying to convince Michelle (who was about 3 at the time)to look at the statue of the 'Phantom.' He was just standing there like a statue. I told her not to be afraid as it wouldn't hurt her. He was 'ugly' to say the least, but all of the sudden as I was going from kneeling by Michelle to standing up, the Phantom was leaning over to us and as I was getting up he accidentally poked me in the eye! I screamed and ran up the tourist trail and everyone roared with laughter! I was so embarrassed! No wonder Michelle didn't want anything to do with the Phantom! He tried to apologize but I was long gone! Ahh the memories!
Love ya!
Mom :o)

Campbell said...

Lisa I love reading your blog and you are so good on updating it! I can't believe how big your girls are getting!