Sunday, August 16, 2009

Too Much?

I finally finished the dresses that I started making for the girls, um, back before Adelaide was born. I probably never would have gotten it done if we hadn't come to my moms house, LaRue and Matilda were much more distracted (in a most wonderful way), Adelaide was able to get good snuggles from her Grandma, and then of course, my mom did the hardest part for me. I had SUCH a hard time joining the bodice to the skirt in a way that looked good. After I messed up on the first one I was completely demoralized and may have abandoned the project altogether, but my mom saved the day by taking it apart and doing that step for me. When it came to the second one I tried so hard to pin it right, I tried and tried but in the end my mom pinned it for me and I sewed it. Shoot! and Thanks mom.

And the backs.
As I got closer to finishing these dresses I began to feel bad for poor Adelaide who would have nothing to match! Providently it was right about that time that I came across this tutorial (clip it, bookmark it, make it, love it, you'll thank me later). And I was able to put together this little ensemble for my favorite wittle pudgie wudgie.Who, by the way, is becoming quite the accomplished sitter upper in case you couldn't tell. So then I naturally decided that we all needed matching headbands, and by we all, I MEAN, we all. Yes, I wore one to church today too and to be honest, I totally loved it. Oh, and please don't tell Adelaide that I called her a pudgie wudgie.
Of course I'm not a hundred percent happy with the dresses, and as always I go back and forth on how I feel about my fabric choices, but I'm so glad that I did it, and I learned so much. Hopefully it will help me to keep trying new things. Also, let me just tell you that I was pleased as punch with myself for FINALLY appliqueing something. There are about a million tutorials on the internet and I have about fifty of them bookmarked, but in the end I was too lazy to remember which ones they were so I just googled it and went with the first result. Talk about easy! I'm so excited for all the project ideas that are percolating now that I wield the incredible power of the applique (for reals, I feel like I deserve a merit badge or something). First project on the list: Fancify every onesie in sight, stay tuned...
One last picture of my little crew in all their matching and uncooperative glory. Happy Sunday everyone.

9 comments:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

You did a FANTASTIC job for a first time sewing project on dresses! The colors you picked were adorable! :o)

*julie* said...

LOVE IT! Thanks for the cute pics of your girlies, although it makes me miss them so (even though I haven't even met one of them in particular). And thanks as well for the ruffle butt tute - I've been looking for one of those!

Kenner Family said...

Lisa you did a great job. You are amazing in all you do. You inspire to get going on sewing but then i can never find the time. Enjoy the time at your mom and dads it sounds like you are having a great time.

Kenner Family said...

P.S. I love the headbands is there a lesson on how to make them (or link).I want to see a picture of your headband too, I bet it is so cute too. :0)

D said...

Too cute for words. you are too talented

I'm the Mommy, That's Why! said...

You did a FANTASTIC job!! I am "sew" impressed. Hee hee, I kill myself. They look just darling and it does inspire me too. I feel like sewing now. I won't, but I feel like I might like to. Love you!

Mom2Gizmo said...

Oh so sweet!! Love the dresses...seriously!
Also...off topic, are you the one who has dolls for each of your girls that kind of look like them? If so, where did you get them...if not...sorry!

Jerilee E. said...

I love LOVE them! The dresses are absolutely adorable, too!! You are the most talented person I know :). When I am balanced again, you must tell me which pattern this is! The colors are perfect. The ruffle-bum onesie is SO creative... and maybe the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Colburns said...

Lisa those little dresses and onesie came out great!