Monday, July 7, 2008

Go Berry Picking: Check!

Of course I forgot to bring the camera, so no actual pictures of the alleged berry picking, instead how about a sip of this?We decided to make strawberry lemonade out of the fruits of our labors. I think this was the first time that I've made lemonade using actual lemons, it was pretty sticky, and kind of a lot of work! But the lemonade was yummy.
The berry picking went... sigh, the thing is we just really can't take LaRue anywhere. You never know which attitude she's going to bring. We started the berry picking in the highest of spirits, she was so excited and kept saying "I love to be berry picking mom." It was all very sweet and cute and endearing. Matilda was having a grand time also, squishing berries a little more than actually picking them, and I shudder to think of all the dirt covered ones she snuck into her mouth, but she was adorable and sweet the whole time. About five minutes into the endeavor LaRue, still in a good mood, let us know that she was done and ready to go home. I was pretty surprised that she didn't last that long, she loves being outside and hello, she'd only told me about ten times how great she thought the whole thing was. So a few minutes later we're getting ready to go and we had to move a little orange flag to the spot where we had stopped picking, and the Berry Picking Meltdown began.
LaRue wanted to do it all by herself, but jamming the flimsy wire into the hard packed dirt was just outside of her capabilities, and once we actually started to leave she started screaming and yelling about not wanting to go and I won't bore you (too late) with the rest of the details. Sigh.
Though, like I said, the lemonade was good and at least it got us out of the house for a bit. We all sat on the patio and drank icy cold glasses of our homemade lemonade. It was all very domestic and summery and civilized, I can tell that you are pretty impressed.

1 comment:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Just tuck this story to the side for later when LaRue has a little LaRue of her own and she tells you how stressful it was for her and read this little story to her! :o)
Love ya!
Mom :o)