Monday, May 19, 2008

One Year Older & Wiser Too?

Last Wednesday was my eighty-seventh birthday. Oops! I mean my twenty-sixth birthday. It's just that I generally FEEL like an eighty-seven year old what with my enthusiasm for the arts of crochet and cross-stitchery and what not. Now adding to the list of things that make me the oldest twenty-six year old on the planet, I am now a proud collector of teapots. That's right I said teapots... and proud!

The reason I bring this up is because for my birthday I got two new teapots, and as I walk by them several times a day they just make me smile. Let me give you a peek at one...
So cute, so whimsical, no?

I have to tell you that I was NOT looking forward to my birthday this year. Not in an "I'm getting too old, alas!" type of way. More like a "Boy, I didn't really accomplish much of anything this year" type of way. I kind of imagined life giving me a birthday card that read:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA! You're the fattest you've ever been!
Forever Yours, Depression.
But I got over it, and managed to have a very nice birthday, complete with two teapots, as you already know. I also got Arrested Development on DVD and after watching three HILARIOUS seasons, there's no way you could still be depressed. Well, except maybe that you had watched them too fast and now had nothing left to look forward to. I can pretty much always find something to get depressed over. Oh well. To drive home my point about being old I thought I'd show off a few of my favorite possessions that make my eighty-seven year old heart skip a beat (which actually sounds a little bit dangerous).
It's ridiculous how much I love my little Hummel Spice Jars. My Sister-in-Law-to-be has a spice rack with these hanging in her kitchen, and when I saw them, it was love at first sight. SOOOO, after a thrilling ebay auction these little cuties are all mine. There's twenty-six in all, these are just a few of my favorites.

When I am actually eighty-seven, these little babies are going to make me the funkiest great-grandma on the block. Jordan and I bought these on our honeymoon when we stopped at the Tillamook cheese factory. I call them our heirloom salt and pepper shakers and have grand visions of them being handed down from generation to generation. In all likelihood we'll hand them down to one of our children, who will toss them into the garbage. But a girl can dream right? Do you have any beloved heirlooms?

4 comments:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Lisa I LOVE your teapot! I love all your knicknacks and that you crochet and do sooo many nifty things! I would never put you in the class of an 87-year old though. You have too much spunk! At 87 you're way more tired! You make me laugh and make me smile! I love your posts! They gladden the heart! How could you ever be depressed when you have so much 'sunshine'! Remember, when you were little I'd say, 'I see that sunshine leaking out and you're going to smile!' You'd smile! Back then Kraft mustard called their product the 'sunshine' for your food.
I have to admit I'm a rotten mother for not calling you on your birthday! Good grief! That was a first! Am I so far gone that I forgot? Yes! Getting our home ready for the market had consumed all our time and energy! I am sooo sorry for forgetting. Bad! Bad! I love forever! :o)
Mom :o)

I'm the Mommy, That's Why! said...

I love you Lisa. You crack me up and I look forward to your post...just post more. Random posts are the best! Hope your birthday was spectacular. I love the S/P shakers. What could be better than leopard spotted cows? Have a good one.

emily said...

Hi Lisa, I like your elephant teapot!! I hope the tea actually comes out of the elephants trunk. I think I got that same birthday card this year...the one about being the fattest I've ever been. :) I should have watched Arrested Development again to squash that depression. :) I love that show! Sigh, maybe I will watch it now. Happy Birthday...I love the blog!

alina said...

hi Lisa,
i don't have your email sooo, i have to converse through blog! i have a tea pot you might like and its all yours if you want it! email me and i will send you a pic! alinalyman@gmail.com