Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Don't Get Fired!

One night, a while ago, when Jordan was heading out to work I told him in a joking and helpful way "Don't get fired". Well LaRue happened to hear it and ever since then if she's around when Jordan is heading off to work she'll tell him "Don't get fired." I've just been thinking that this is cute and funny, but the other day Jordan was seeing us girls off and LaRue told him "Tell mommy, don't get fired." So he obliged. Again I was just thinking LaRue is cute and funny. BUT, as we were heading down the road she started saying something about "we get fired and we die, we die, die. Mom! If we get fired we go like this" And at this point she held up a finger, which I gathered I was to imagine was aflame, and she blew on it like a birthday candle. "Mommy, say 'that's a great idea!'" (She is always, always coaching me on what to say). Then it hit me that my three year old daughter doesn't just know what it means to get fired and has maybe been warning Jordan not to get caught on fire, and I just hope this idea hasn't been causing her any undue worry.
As a kid I was FREAKISHLY paranoid (alright, alright, I still am). I was constantly convinced that my entire family was going to be killed or maimed in some horrible way. I even remember in second grade we had to write something about our feelings, and the feeling I chose was worry. I wrote about how sometimes when I was at school I worried about my mom and dad being in a car accident. I remember my teacher taking me aside and trying to convince me not to worry about things like that... fat chance. Let's just hope my darling little apple is not imbued with like anxieties because of falling from my tree.

3 comments:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Lisa, Lisa , Lisa!
How sweet! :o) The fruit sometimes doesn't fall far from the tree! :o)
I remember when you used to worry.
Michelle used to worry about getting baptized and said she couldn't do it because she was worried about it opening into a bottomless pit and there was no bottom and if she went into the water she'd never come out. We solved the problem by having her take swimming lessons. :o) Ask LaRue what she means about 'don't get fired.' That's what the fire dept. does and as well as home fire extinguishers. Give her a hug and kiss for me! :o) xoxo
Love ya!
Mom :o)

*julie* said...

She is the funniest little apple I know! I can't believe how much she can be like you, it's fantastic. At least it is in my book, not being her mother that has to worry and all :) Also, I actually really appreciate the coaching techniques, it's opened a whole new channel of communication for Zack. I finally know what the heck he wants! Thank you LaRue!

Dena Rooney-Berg (SugarShop) said...

Oh your heart must have dropped when you realized what she might be thinking. Kids take things so literal.I remember when I was little, probably 6 and it was super bowl time and my dad kept talking about "Doing the Pool" and I thought for 3 days that we were going to decorate the pool for the party. Lol. I was bummed when I found out he was going to make a silly little chart on paper. :)