Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Look What I Did!


Or rather, where I went! Yesterday Laurie and I went to the Portland Art Museum to see their exhibit called The Dancer. It featured the art of Degas, Forain (who, ignorant boor that I am had never heard of before) and Toulouse-Lautrec. It was amazing! There's just something so neat about seeing the actual paintings that you've been seeing in books all your life. And I learned so much! Who knew that the movie Moulin Rouge was so historically accurate! And by historically accurate I mean that I hadn't known that there was a real life Moulin Rouge (ignorance is bliss people) and that Toulouse really hung out there all the time and was really short. Apparently his parents were actually first cousins which more than likely led to his having weak bones so at around ages 13 and 14 respectively, he broke both of his thigh bones and his legs ceased to grow. I told you I learned so much!
Also I wouldn't have (but maybe should have) guessed that behind the scenes of the Parisian ballet world things were hmm... 'ow would zee french say, razair seedee? A recurring theme in all three of the artists work featured "Adonnes" (I'm ninety percent sure I've got that word right) looming backstage with the ballerinas. These top hatted, finely dressed gentlemen - cough cough - would sponsor - more coughing - the dancers and their families, and the italics and the coughing is as much as I'm going to spell it out for you, but just in case you're thinking I just have a dirty mind, Laurie thought the same thing as I did, and then the little electronic tour phone confirmed it so, tut tut tut. That tutting is for the Adonnes and the dancers moms, not for you dear reader.
Anyway seediness aside the paintings were lovely. It was so nice to go and soak up a little culture and learn a little bit. It was a lovely way to spend the afternoon and also, I just have one of the worlds best Moms-in-law. She's so much fun, she's so sweet and generous is always so good to LaRue and Matilda. All of my in-laws are the tops, seriously I got so lucky in that department, but I wanted to give her a little shout out because it was so nice to go with her yesterday and it was on my mind.

2 comments:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I am so glad you two had a 'wonderful time!' You got to watch those Frenchies! :o)

Shannon said...

Here's a response to your comment...BABY, of course! LOL