Thursday, February 5, 2009

Oh Mr. Rochester

It's simply impossible not to love him just a little bit.
A few days ago I finished reading Jane Eyre for the first time. Such an accomplishment for me seeing as it was neither written by J.K. Rowling nor Stephenie Meyers, and wasn't written specifically to entertain thirteen year olds. I looooved it. I thought it was so perfect. The first half did feel a little bit like work, but that all builds up to the second half which just flies by. There is a movie version that I've really liked for quite some time, and after finishing reading it I was so excited to watch it again. Then I was sad because after I watched it again I was terribly disappointed. The book was just so perfect and I know movies have to change things up, but in this version, so many times I was just like "why that?". I don't know.

Then I remembered watching this version about a year ago. When I watched it at the time I really liked it, but clinging to my high school preferences I still considered the first one to be my favorite. Well not anymore. I really must insist that you watch this version, please at least try to find a copy from your local library. It's as close to perfect as we're likely to get. It follows the story so closely, the actors are so good, I watched it last night and felt so giddy and content at the end. You'll thank me later.
Now I've moved on to Wuthering Heights, oh those Bronte sisters, I've actually tried to read Wuthering Heights at least three times before and never made it very far at all, but I've made it past my usual stopping point and am really inerested to see what ends up happening. I've also decided to keep a list in my side bar of all the books I've read so far this year, I don't expect anyone to find that of interest except me kind of like the rest of this post.
To sum up, Jane Eyre is awesome.
The End.

3 comments:

Scott and Jillian said...

We're reading that in my book club this year. I'm so excited to tackle it! I'm glad to hear it's a great book..even if it wasn't written by J.K. Rowling or Stephenie Meyer. :)

Jerilee E. said...

I've watched the first version you mentioned, but I've yet to get up the nerve to try to read it yet... maybe you've convinced me to give it a try... or to read Twilight again... I'll let ya know! :)

Colburns said...

I will have to read that one! I loved the cuff you added to the stunning coat!