Sunday, October 4, 2009

Easy Like Sunday Morning

I have no trouble telling you that having three daughters to get ready for three hours of church meetings that start at nine in the morning usually means that our Sunday mornings are almost always anything but easy. However, this being General Conference weekend made this Sunday morning nice and easy. Combined with the weather outside growing more Octob-ier and having these tasties on hand for breakfast I would even go so far as to call it a cozy morning.I got this recipe on some copy cat site a few years ago when I was going through an "I could eat a Cinnabon everyday" phase. Wanna hear it? Here it goes!

Cinnabons
Dough:
2 pkg. active dry yeast
1 c. warm water
2/3 c. plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar, divided
1 c. warmed milk
2/3 c. butter
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
7 - 8 c. all purpose flour, more if needed

Filling:
1 c. melted butter, divided
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 c. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. ground cinnamon

In a small bowl mix together warm water, yeast and 1 tsp. sugar and set aside. In a large bowl mix milk, remaining 2/3 c. sugar, melted butter, salt and eggs. Stir well and add yeast mixture. Add half the flour and beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour until dough is slightly stiff (it will still be somewhat sticky).

Turn out onto a well floured board; knead 5 - 10 minutes. Place in well buttered glass or plastic bowl, cover and let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

When doubled, punch down dough and let rest 5 minutes. Roll out on floured surface into a 15x20 rectangle.

Spread dough with 1/2 c. melted butter. Mix together sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over buttered dough.

Roll up jelly roll style and pinch edge together. Cut into slices. Coat bottom of pan(s) with remaining butter, then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 c. sugar. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in pans. Let rise in warm place until dough is doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes or until rolls are nicely browned.

Frosting:
1 c. butter
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Allow butter and cream cheese to reach room temperature. Beat cream cheese and butter in a bowl with a mixer. Slowly add in all powdered sugar. Once all of the sugar is in the bowl mix for an additional 12 minutes. When almost done, add in the extracts.

There you have it folks. It's probably a good thing with having made these yesterday that I've recently realized my goal of being able to run five miles, yay! So maybe if I do that a couple of times this week the cinnamon rolls won't leave me with anything but fond memories?

2 comments:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Yum! You made those for us for Christmas morning one year! I'll have to try these sometime! ;o)

Jerilee E. said...

I want some! Looks mighty tasty!