Here's what happened:
I was outside, keeping an eye on LaRue and Matilda as they rode their bikes out front.
Someone was leaving the neighbors house, and as she passed us she said a friendly, "Hello".
So I responded with a friendly, "Hello".
Matilda, not wanting to be left out said a friendly, if belated, "Hello!"
The woman, who had just passed by us at this point, turned to smile at Tillie and say, you guessed it, "Hello".
The woman, who I would guess as being in her early to mid-fifties, took about two more steps before Matilda says to me in the only volume that her voice comes in: LOUD!
"WOW! She's REALLY old! I wonder when she dies!"
I was literally stunned into silence.
I might have run inside (or walked very quickly) without looking behind me and made Jordan go out and keep on eye on the girls until this poor woman, who does NOT look like she's on deaths door no matter what Tillie would have you believe, got into her car and drove away.
Oh, Matilda. What am I going to do with you, you lovable little goofball?
3 comments:
I laughed so hard! That was hilarious! :o) 'NOT' hilarious to the poor mother who was stunned into silence though. I remember being very young and saying almost the same thing to a lady who ws probably close to 50. When you are Tillie's age, old is middle aged! I'll have to ask her if she thinks I'm ready to expire! Ha! Ha! Ha! :o)
HA...that made me laugh out loud when I read it. That poor woman! My kids have said some embarrassing things too, but that's a pretty good one. I think I would have wanted to run in the house too...but now it seems funny. :)
I just love Matilda stories! They are my favorite. Seriously- whenever I need a good laugh I think about how much I love poking a sword into a squids stomach and making the blood come out.
I think we all have to go through our kids saying embarrassing, inappropriate things out loud to strangers. It looks like you might have to go through it more than once ;).
Sage is the one who does that stuff in our house. No filter and no volume control- just loud and louder.
Post a Comment