I wanted to do this activity last summer with the girls but for whatever reason never got around to it. I got the idea off of a blog that I read and cannot now remember which, I thought I'd saved the link but it's nowhere to be found, whoops. I can't remember what they called it either, so we had to come up with our own name and landed on Icy Treasure Hunt.

As far as I could remember the idea is to round up a bunch of small treasures, I picked up a few packages of things from the dollar store. Then you partly fill a large container with water and mix in some of the treasures. Let that layer freeze, and then repeat the process until you've got all your treasures frozen throughout several layers.

Then you let your kids excavate away. I gave them spritzer bottles (which by the by were completely useless, actual spray bottles would have been much better. I tried but I just couldn't find any!) some paint brushes and some toothbrushes, and I'm sure there's a hundred more "tools" you could think of to use. In fact if you do think of something, let me know what it is. Oh the fun they'll have. One thing I like about this activity has been that when they lose interest after a while, I can freeze what's leftover and pull it out again the next day. It's probably even more fun if you do it outside but unfortunately for my girls, I'm not that kind of mom and we don't have that kind of yard.
In somewhat related news, have you ever seen anything so beautiful as this?

Me neither.
2 comments:
You are such a fun mom!! What a great idea... once I clean out all the crap in there I will try this. My girls would love LOVE it. In the summertime air conditioning IS the most beautiful thing in the world! on a side note.. the verification word I have to enter to comment is ugultspu... that's not a word!
TOTALLY gonna steal this idea!
Post a Comment