Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm Not Gonna Be Scared Anymore!

Okay, that's probably not true.
This is completely ridiculous but whenever I'm about to start a new project, whether it's a new version of something I've made before, or something I'm doing for the first time, I'm always, always, anxious about it. What if it doesn't turn out right?
Well, what if it doesn't turn out right? Big fat deal. So I've decided I'm not going to let that stand in my way anymore. I want to sew! Really cute things! And by gum, I'm gonna start trying. My hope is at the end of the year I will have made twelve projects that were new to me, some will probably be horrible, but maybe one or two will be great, I'll keep you posted because I know you really care.
This is what I am working on now.
I'm so in love with this bag and am very much hoping that mine turns out alright. I don't know what it is about reading patterns, but I have to read through every step at least five times before it kind of makes sense to me. I've gotten relatively far on this (all on my own, if you can believe it!) but now I'm kind of stymied because I have to make gussets. Gussets? All I can say is if I'm able to figure out how to make gussets I'm going to feel pretty awesome. I got to this step pretty late last night so hopefully some fresh eyes will render it less mind boggling.
Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Campbell said...

The bag is so cute, good luck and I love it!

The Polka Dot Apron said...

YAY FOR LISA!!! Sewing is 'sew' much fun (nasal laugh)- I am with you on the projects- and that bag is SOOOO CUTE! I must know where you got the pattern because I have the perfect fabric for it- a mixture of chocolate and sage paisley..deeelish! Good luck to you, my friend!

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Good job Lisa! You go girl!:o) That's pretty much how I learned how to sew. I had very basic sewing in Home-Ec as a 9th grader. An apron, wow! My mom showed me a few tips and some friends when I'd call for help! I basically taught myself how to sew and learned along the way, mistakes are great teachers! You learn how NOT to do that again, or most of the time. My pet peeve was 'ripping it out'. Aarrggg! I am a big fan of basting. At least you can sew over the same lines knowing it was right! :o) Best of luck! You'll do great! :o)
NW Dictionary-Gusset-a triangle piece of fabric sewn in place for reinforcement. Sounds good to me!

*julie* said...

Woohoo! So excited for you sister!
Whaddaya say we do a little pattern swap after your year of projects?!