Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Even MORE Washington Fun

If you've ever met me, and I'm assuming you have, you will know that I'm kind of lazy, a total homebody, and pretty much afraid of everything. This really flattering description of me is my way of explaining why even though my parents have lived just outside of Seattle for what now, seven? Eight, years? I've only actually been into Seattle once, MAYBE twice.
But I managed to put my neurosis aside for a few hours and venture into the big city with my little family.
What could possibly be enticing enough to convince me to do this?
The Pacific Science Center of course!
You know how I love me some science!
Well, they've been hosting this major Harry Potter Exhibition for a few months, so you KNOW we had to go give it a look-see. And here's where I'm the worlds most selfless mother, this was supposed to be just a Jordan and I thing so we could actually, you know, enjoy ourselves, but a little birdie told me that the other exhibits at the center were really kid friendly and that the girls would probably have a great time.
Drat.
And thank you David!
I am actually really glad that we took them, they had a blast.
I now present our outing in an absolute overload of pictures!

The Exhibit!
So sad, but they didn't allow any pictures on the inside. It was pretty amazing though, when we first entered LaRue put on the sorting hat and got sorted. Gryffindor, as though there were any doubt. They had so many props and costumes from the movie, we got to unpot a mandrake, and throw a quaffle through the goal hoops, it was really fun.

Adorable Tillie. Dinosaurs.
After exiting the Harry Potter exhibit you walked across this courtyard with all sorts of water features which the girls absolutely loved.
The courtyard gave me strange feelings though, happy of course to see the girls having fun, but I don't know, something about the look of the buildings and the girls puffy coats, and even something about Matildas red pants makes me think this could be a picture of me and one of my sisters when we were this little. And that makes me feel old, and nostalgic, and weird. But I am weird so it all works out. Anyway, moving on!

Water wheel!

Fun with mirrors, we never could get the girls to line up just right for this one.


Giant bugs. Good times.


They had this amazing butterfly house, I've never been in one before, but they keep the temperature in the eighties, so it's so warm, and it's filled to the brim with flowers so it smells beautiful, and there are butterflies everywhere, flying around, resting, and you just get to walk right there among them.
Tillie was SO cute with her little butterfly identifying card, trying to match up the butterflies she was actually seeing with the ones on the paper.
LaRue on the other hand didn't really enjoy it. While she'd be quick to tell you that she wasn't scared of ANYTHING in the Harry Potter exhibit (there was a dark arts section with a dementor and a dragon head and some other things that made Tillie very nervous) but after a few minutes with the butterflies she was ready to go because the butterflies were so scary.
Oh these silly girls.

Counting down to take off.


Naked Mole Rats!
Of COURSE I took a picture for you!

The girls sat through a somewhat excruciating presentation on electrons - sorry Chelise, I know you were trying, but man! It was awkward - and painful to watch. Afterward Tillie asked Chelise about electrons, well, questions were supposed to be about electrons but Tillie somehow brought the topic around to cookies and if she had a cookie she would share it with her friend Emma. Sciencey.

Giant Gee-tar.


Have you guys seen Toy Story 3?
If so, are you feeling somewhat terrified right now?
This monkey scares Matilda every time.

Ginormous table and chairs, that's just plain fun.

And the Science Center is really close to the space needle, the girls were really excited to see it this close up and kept asking if we were going to ride to the top. They kept going back and forth on whether or not they would be scared. So did I for that matter. No. I'm actually pretty sure I WOULD be scared.
Maybe next time though, now that we've ventured, it seems like there are quite a few places that would be fun to explore!

7 comments:

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

We talked about it but seeing your pictures makes it even more exciting! I LOVE those mirror pictures! Ha! Ha! Ha! So cute! The table and chairs reminds me of Lily Tomliin in 'The Incredible Shrinking Woman'. Too funny! What a fun time for your family! ♥(PS- We've been here 9 1/2 years.) :o)

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

Somehow my first comment posted twice so AI deleted it. ♥

Scott and Jillian said...

GASP!! How long is the HP exhibit going to be up there?! 'Cause we are headed Northwest in June!!

Lisa said...

Aw, Sorry Jillian, it's only going to be there through the middle of February - although, that is an extension, maybe if you send them enough passionate emails they might eek it out that long?
Oh, maybe not, it seems like we saw a sign that said in March they were going to be putting up a big Star Wars exhibit. Sorry:(

Jerilee E. said...

man, that Harry Potter exhibit sounds so cool!
So much fun- I really need to take my kids to Seattle someday :)

The Polka Dot Apron said...

I am SO beyond jealous of the Harry Potter exhibit!! I need to get my kiddos up there some day! I keep trying to talk Wes into an Oregon vacay this year, but it looks like next year might be the better option with another adoption to save for. I miss yer face! (Oh, and the word verification they are making me use to post this time?? Metheye...hmmmmm)